Subject: Re: Reducing Flash Disk wear
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 05/04/2005 20:21:48
On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 08:56:36 +0100, Richard Danter wrote:

> Thanks, I have had a quick read and it looks good.  But I was
> wondering if I could avoid setting up a DHCP server?  With Linux
> (not trying to start a flame war here!) you can pass a command line
> to the kernel from the bootloader. If you give it "root=/dev/nfs
> ...."  then you can specify the server and path to mount from, so no
> DHCP is required.

There's NFS_BOOT_BOOTSTATIC option and a bunch of NFS_BOOTSTATIC_*
options to hardcode the boot info in ther kernel.  They appear to be
undocumented, unfortunately, so you will have to look at
sys/nfs/nfs_bootstatic.c.  If my quick reading is correct, the options
are:

options 	NFS_BOOT_BOOTSTATIC
options 	NFS_BOOTSTATIC_MYIP "1.2.3.4"
#options 	NFS_BOOTSTATIC_GWIP "1.2.3.254"
#options 	NFS_BOOTSTATIC_MASK "255.255.255.0"
options 	NFS_BOOTSTATIC_SERVADDR "1.2.3.200"
options 	NFS_BOOTSTATIC_SERVER "myserver:/path/to/root"

> It looks like hpcboot can pass options to the kernel, is there an
> equivalent of the root= option?

There don't appear to be any kernel boot time options to set these at
boot time.

SY, Uwe