Subject: Re: thanks for your wise advices!
To: Guillaume Tessier <g_tessier@orange.fr>
From: Jost Menke <cyberlab@gmx.de>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 05/02/2005 22:40:27
On Mon, 02 May 2005 21:56:12 +0200, Guillaume Tessier
<g_tessier@orange.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks to everyone who replied to my post and led me to the right way!
>
> * sync cable
> That right : the docking cradlle is needed to use the sync cable usb. As
> i do not have this device : the choice is clear!
>
> * compact flash
> about windows ce : yes i t transfered windows binaries with my cf but i
> couldn't run them onto windows.... i tried both SH3 and ARM. The install
> process for win binaries is tricky as you need to use another win box
> and install the binaries within an apps named ActiveSync through the
> sync cable...
>
> * netbsd
> i checked matchbox and it looks excellent.
>
> I also checked the repository
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcarm/
> Do we need to build the whole system on the jornada? It might take days!
> If the lill'machine doesn't burn after some hours!

You don't have to. You can use the binary sets from the ftp server or -as
NetBSD is designed for portability- cross-compile on another platform.

> * about sound/audio
> Kind of app i'd definitely enjoy to use (except from ansi and compilers)
> is audio apps.
> Of course not ROsegarden, but little drumboxes...
> But i read audio doesn't work on netbsd onto jornada... is that right?

That's true. I read that Uwe is working on a driver (probably other people
aswell), you might want to check his website:
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/netbsd/jornada/
There you'll also find a PDF which might be interesting for you to read.

regards,
Jost