Subject: Re: jornada 720 : i'd need infos & tips
To: Guillaume Tessier <g_tessier@orange.fr>
From: Jost Menke <cyberlab@gmx.de>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 05/02/2005 19:12:30
On Mon, 02 May 2005 18:46:16 +0200, Guillaume Tessier
<g_tessier@orange.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For my birthday, my dad offered me a jornada 720 he found on ebay.fr .
> The machine is in good order and it's fine netbsd got ported on it.
> I red the OnLamp article about setting up a bsd system onto hp handled
> pc. However, i still have plenty of questions.... and i guess this is
> the best place to get answers as people here might know their jornada
> pretty much.
>
> * first of all, am i on the right mailing list?
> I have still doubt about if the jornada 720 depends of the SH3 port or
> the HPCARM. There is strongarm cpu in my machine. But on the SH3 netbsd
> port page, there is a picture of a jornada 720....
> However, as i have been looking for win ce apps, there are usually SH3
> binaries and ARM binaries...
> Which win ce binaries should i use?

well, you're on the right mailing list for NetBSD on the Jornada, but not
for Win CE binaries I suppose ;)

> * the sync cable
> After the first question you may wonder : "dude, try both windows
> binaries and you'll know!". The problem is that the  dude from ebay
> didn't chip any sync cable with the device. So, as microsoft is king of
> interoperability, you need another win machine with their proprietary
> program to install stuff on the jornada trough the sync cable....

Since you will need a Compact Flash card anyway if you want to use NetBSD
on the Jornada, you could copy stuff to the card on another computer and
then put it into the Jornada.

> Right, i found a retailer that can get me the two kinds of sync cables:
> - sync cable : jornada ----> serial port on host pc
> - sync cable  : jornada ----> usb port on host pc
>
> But of course, it's over expensive... 60 euros for each...
> So i won't buy them both.
> Which one should i buy?????????????????
>
> Onto some post and how to's , it seems that the jornada needs to be
> connected throught its serial port...
> but it doesn't say why and exactly what's about... jornada serial or
> host pc serial????
> Which one do u advice me to buy for it's functionnalities????

AFAIK, the USB cable can only be used with the docking station. At least I
can't see any USB connector on my Jornada itself. And since you will very
likely depend on the serial console output in the beginning (e.g. to
choose the boot medium with the generic kernel), I recommend buying the
serial cable. You can't see the boot messages of the kernel on the Jornada
itself, it only spits it to the serial console. Yet 60 EUR really doesn't
sound like a good deal. Maybe somebody knows a cheaper source for this.

> * about netbsd running on the jornada
> The win ce OS is into the rom. This allow your jornada to start like the
> lightenings. How long need the bsd system to boot up?
> Is there some special app to get a window manager suitable for this kind
> of machine (use the screen pen)???

I haven't used my stopwatch but I estimate booting into a console login
prompt will take about half a minute. I haven't installed X yet, but any
lightweight window manager (wmaker, maybe fluxbox) should be working fine.

> Right, enough questions for this time. Thanks for your advices. They
> would be really welcomed!!!
>
> Guillaume.

You're welcome

Jost