Subject: jornada 720 : i'd need infos & tips
To: None <port-hpcarm@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Guillaume Tessier <g_tessier@orange.fr>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 05/02/2005 18:46:16
Hello,

For my birthday, my dad offered me a jornada 720 he found on ebay.fr .
The machine is in good order and it's fine netbsd got ported on it.
I red the OnLamp article about setting up a bsd system onto hp handled
pc. However, i still have plenty of questions.... and i guess this is
the best place to get answers as people here might know their jornada
pretty much.

* first of all, am i on the right mailing list?
I have still doubt about if the jornada 720 depends of the SH3 port or
the HPCARM. There is strongarm cpu in my machine. But on the SH3 netbsd
port page, there is a picture of a jornada 720....
However, as i have been looking for win ce apps, there are usually SH3
binaries and ARM binaries...
Which win ce binaries should i use?

* the sync cable
After the first question you may wonder : "dude, try both windows
binaries and you'll know!". The problem is that the  dude from ebay
didn't chip any sync cable with the device. So, as microsoft is king of
interoperability, you need another win machine with their proprietary
program to install stuff on the jornada trough the sync cable....

Right, i found a retailer that can get me the two kinds of sync cables:
- sync cable : jornada ----> serial port on host pc
- sync cable  : jornada ----> usb port on host pc

But of course, it's over expensive... 60 euros for each...
So i won't buy them both.
Which one should i buy?????????????????

Onto some post and how to's , it seems that the jornada needs to be
connected throught its serial port...
but it doesn't say why and exactly what's about... jornada serial or
host pc serial????
Which one do u advice me to buy for it's functionnalities????

* about netbsd running on the jornada
The win ce OS is into the rom. This allow your jornada to start like the
lightenings. How long need the bsd system to boot up?
Is there some special app to get a window manager suitable for this kind
of machine (use the screen pen)???

Right, enough questions for this time. Thanks for your advices. They
would be really welcomed!!!

Guillaume.