Subject: Re: Re: Couldn't allocate memory.
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: None <otto.waltari@kolumbus.fi>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 03/05/2005 12:01:44
> > So, I'm able too boot the precompiled kernel from 20040706. But can't
> > use that because I have to compile a custom kernel with the line
> > "config netbsd root on ? type ? dumps on none" in kernel config.
> > Otherwise the kernel booting will crash after "root file system type:
> > ffs". This issue was discussed on this list before, so no more about
> > it for now.
>
> How does it fail?  Where does the crash happen.  I read in your

Yes, it happens only with the THNCF-signed card. This was the case
with <1.9 revisions of softintr.c, but now I came to think of which
revision 20040706 is compiled with... I suppose 1.9.

> It sounds like the problem is confined to this piece of main
> (kern/init_main.c)
>
> 	cpu_rootconf();		// <- ok
> 	cpu_dumpconf();
> 	vfs_mountroot(...);
>
> It should be easy to narrow it further down.

I'll see what I can do.

> > Booting my own custom kernel with your build of hpcboot doesn't
> > freeze the device, but it stops the boot process.
>
> I don't understand "doesn't freeze the device, but it stops the boot
> process".  Does hpcboot refuses to proceed with the boot at some point
> and you are back to hpcboot?

I press the 'boot' button. The progress bar reaches nearly the end,
but about 1cm is left to go. Then it just stops and the system is
like nothing ever happened. I may press 'boot' again, and the same
thing repeats.