Subject: Re: NetBSD 2 installation on a Jornada 720
To: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
From: Richard Danter <richard.danter@ntlworld.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 01/12/2005 15:34:05
Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> Richard Danter <richard.danter@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>2. I have a Socket LP-E ethernet card plugged in on the PCMCIA card
>>slot and it is configured and working fine. If I remove the card
>>(whilst power is on) I see some messages about it being unplugged,
>>and when I insert it again I get more messages saying it has seen
>>the card. Problem is that card doesn't seem to be configured. I have
>>tried 'ifconfig up ne0" but I get an error (not configured). So it
>>looks like the only way to get it back is by rebooting. Is there
>>another way?
>

> After you have removed the card, all information about its IP address
> &c is lost.  You either need to use dhcp (see dhclient(8) and
> "dhclient" variable in rc.conf) or configure the interface/routing
> manually (ifconfig ne0 1.2.3.4 ...; route add default ...  etc).

Thanks! I have actually stared playing with my Netgear MA401 card
instead, which is wireless and the card I really want working.

What I have done is write a couple of scripts to start and stop the
network. I'm using DHCP now, so all I do before removing the card is an
'ifconfig down' and then I pkill the dhclient. If I plug the card back
in then I do another ifconfig to set up the card (128-bit WEP works
great BTW) and restart the dhclient.

It would be nice if there was a daemon which could run these scripts
automatically when it detects the card being plugged in or removed, but
it is no too bad doing it by hand.

> I'm not sure, but from a cursory look "/etc/rc.d/network start"
> *might* do the right thing if you have the address and default route
> in rc.conf, but rc.d/network also does a lot of extra stuff.

I will take a look at that, maybe it is better than what I have done.

Thanks
Rich