Subject: Re: NetBSD 2 installation on a Jornada 720
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 01/12/2005 13:37:50
Richard Danter <richard.danter@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> 2. I have a Socket LP-E ethernet card plugged in on the PCMCIA card
> slot and it is configured and working fine. If I remove the card
> (whilst power is on) I see some messages about it being unplugged,
> and when I insert it again I get more messages saying it has seen
> the card. Problem is that card doesn't seem to be configured. I have
> tried 'ifconfig up ne0" but I get an error (not configured). So it
> looks like the only way to get it back is by rebooting. Is there
> another way?

After you have removed the card, all information about its IP address
&c is lost.  You either need to use dhcp (see dhclient(8) and
"dhclient" variable in rc.conf) or configure the interface/routing
manually (ifconfig ne0 1.2.3.4 ...; route add default ...  etc).

I'm not sure, but from a cursory look "/etc/rc.d/network start"
*might* do the right thing if you have the address and default route
in rc.conf, but rc.d/network also does a lot of extra stuff.

SY, Uwe