Subject: Re: NetBSD 2 installation on a Jornada 720
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Richard Danter <richard.danter@ntlworld.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 01/11/2005 21:43:24
Hi Brad et al,

I now have my Jornada booted up and I am able ro log in as root just
fine. I have also created a user account. But now I have a few more
questions - hope you don't mind!

1. When logged in as a normal user, I would expect to be able to 'su -'
to become root. The user is in the 'wheel' group, but all I get is
"Sorry" and I am back at my user prompt. Any ideas why? This seems to
work fine on my laptop.

2. I have a Socket LP-E ethernet card plugged in on the PCMCIA card slot
and it is configured and working fine. If I remove the card (whilst
power is on) I see some messages about it being unplugged, and when I
insert it again I get more messages saying it has seen the card. Problem
is that card doesn't seem to be configured. I have tried 'ifconfig up
ne0" but I get an error (not configured). So it looks like the only way
to get it back is by rebooting. Is there another way? This leads to
question 3...

3. Rebooting seems to be a problem. It seems to do a complete reset
which means I have to recalibrate the screen, enter date/time and
restart the kernel. I also seem to have to unplug the poer and batteries
for a while to be able to read the screen (it's too bright). Am I doing
something wrong? Should I ever need to reboot?

I have more questions, but they can wait - maybe I can answer them
myself anyway.

Thanks
Rich