Subject: Re: NetBSD 2 installation on a Jornada 720
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Richard Danter <richard.danter@ntlworld.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 01/11/2005 19:11:33
Hi Brad,

Brad Spencer wrote:

> The procedure you used is pretty much exactly what I did to get a working
> NetBSD set up on my Jornada 720.  Assuming you have the "console" cable
> for the Jornada and you probably have serial ports on your i386.  I would
> suggest hooking up a null modem cable and use the i386 as a console.  You
> should not have to rebuild the kernel to get it to use the framebuffer.
> The options in the boot loader indicate where the console should be
> located at.  I use the Japanese layout, even though I have a U.S. Jornada,
> as it seems to function better.

Aha!! That was it! If I use the Japanese layout it works fine (I have a
US version too) but the other option just hangs.

> Cross compiling is simple, really simple....  The BUILDING file in
> /usr/src should tell you everything you need to know.  You basically just
> run build.sh with the machine type you want to build.

I don't have the source yet, so I'll be off getting that first I think.

I have been using Linux for a loooong time, sounds like NetBSD is much
easier to compile for cross dev. I can see hours of fun ahead...

Thanks for the swift and helpful advice!

Rich