Subject: RE: netbsd installation kernel for jornada720
To: , <port-hpcarm@NetBSD.org>
From: Jason Mitchell <jmitchel@rosstechnologygroup.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 09/30/2004 15:03:26
I'm the one who created the install kernel. Unfortunately, it's not as easy
as using a newer kernel (with more modules). There was a absolute size
limitation on the size of the hpcarm kernel. If the kernel was bigger than
~2.8Mb it wouldn't boot (no output past hpcboot -- just a blank screen). I
was able to fit everything in a 1.9Mb ramdisk by using crunchgen to compress
all of the executables. The problem with wifi is that you need more than
just the driver in the kernel. You also need wiconfig. I seem to remember
that made the ramdisk too big. But as you said, the kernel is old, so I
can't be sure.

If you don't have temporary access to a ne2000 compatible ethernet card, you
could also copy the hpcarm distribution (base.tgz, comp.tgz, etc.) to a
second flash card. I think sysinst has the option to install from a
directory. You would only need the flash card for the install and it won't
matter what the filesystem is. Maybe you could borrow it.

In other words,

1) Put borrowed card in laptop.
2) Boot Windows, linux, whatever or laptop.
3) Ftp files and save on borrowed card
4) Boot install kernel from your card
5) Exit sysinst (the install routine)
6) mount borrowed card
7) run sysinst

I don't have time right now to do this, but hopefully I will later tonight
(GMT -5). So let me know if you run into problems and I'll see if I can make
things clearer.

Jason M.