Subject: Re: is anyone still working on this port?
To: None <jmitchel@rosstechnologygroup.com>
From: Sheree A Hemphill <sah18@sbcglobal.net>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 09/15/2004 16:06:25
I'm having trouble getting the netbsd installation to complete onto a CF
card on a Jornada 720.  I downloaded Jason's files & followed the
instructions.  I'm able to run the bootloader to launch the install (though,
it kept freezing when I chose HP Jornada 720 -- it would only run if I chose
HP Jornada 720 (Japanese), for some reason).  I'm just trying to do one of
the 2 canned installation setups -- either Standard or Standard with X (the
same problem happens on both).  I let it setup the partitions for me (and
I've tried both leaving the initial 5mb dos partition intact and also
telling it to use the entire disk to install on).  Once the install begins,
I eventually come to this error:
===============
Command: /sbin/newfx /dev/rwd0f
Press any key to continue
- - - - - - - -
wtfs: write error for sector 3395951: Input/Output error
I can't continue.
===============

I've tried:
-- copying the 3 initial files to the My Documents folder (so that they are
not on the CF card).
-- more than one CF card (in case the card had a bad section) -- one was
256MB and the other was 512MB
-- different initial boot options (not always sure I'm choosing the right
settings here -- I'd love to hear what exact settings others are using)
-- first I tried choosing "Standard with X", since this is what I really
wanted, but then when the error occurred I tried instead "Standard", but
still got the same error.

Another error I received on one of my many attempts was:
============
Command: /sbin/newfx /dev/rwd0a
Press any key to continue
----
newfs: /dev/rwd0a: open for read: Device not configured.
Command  /sbin/newfx /dev/rwd0a failed.
I can't continue
This above one was when I had the boot/install files still copied to that
5mb dos partition on the cf card -- this is when i though i might have
better luck moving them off the card into memory.

Any ideas/suggestions/step-by-steps of what has worked for you, would be
greatly appreciated!  And I won't be offended if you mention the
obvious, because it may not be obvious to me!

Thank you for listening to my woes,
-sheree