Subject: Re: is anyone still working on this port?
To: Sheree Hemphill <sah18@sbcglobal.net>
From: Sheree Hemphill <sah18@sbcglobal.net>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 09/08/2004 06:34:05
--0-1408320522-1094650445=:7628

One more question to add to my previous email:
In the how to use document
(again, at: http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcarm/howto-use.html

it mentions the following:
"Booting from memory card (top)
This is probably the easiest way, for now.
Connect some device to the serial port. Use 19200bps, no parity, 8bits."

The serial port referred to is the specialize port used to sync with the desktop computer, correct?  Why is this necessary?  And does it really not matter what device is connected to the serial port?  Is the connection for synchronization okay to use?

Thanks again!
-sheree

Sheree Hemphill <sah18@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Herb,
Thank you for responding!  And it's great to hear that you have a working Jornada 720!
I do have 2 basic questions so far:
1. To install netbsd on the jornada, is it necessary to have a machine that is already running netbsd?  I only currently have 2 windows xp machines.  I did also create a Knoppix 3.6 cd, however, and was wondering if that would be sufficient.
2. I'm starting out by trying to follow the instructions here:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcarm/howto-use.html
This page indicates that there are 3 files needed:
---
You need at least 3 files to start NetBSD/hpcarm.
hpcboot.exe
bootloader which runs in the WindowsCE environment. It currently supports WinCE2.11 and PocketPC(WinCE 3.xx) machines. It is available at sys/arch/hpc/stand/binary/ARM/. (From the NetBSD-current sources; see Tracking NetBSD-current.)
netbsd (kernel)
For testing(JORNADA720): ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcarm/snapshot/kernel/netbsd-JORNADA720-20010623.gz
miniroot.fs (filesystem image, generated with vnconfig)
Coming soon.
---
The link for the netbsd-JORNADA720-20010623.gz file is good.
However, do you know where I can find the miniroot.fs?  I don't understand what this is exactly or what it is used for.
Also, I do already have an hpcboot.exe file -- I think I can use what I have, but I'm not sure (I'll try it and see).

There is also an article here that I found:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/06/05/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

I'm not sure which method is better/easier to start with.
Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.  Or if you have any tips/instructions on how to proceed.  I'm a linux newbie, so I want to minimize the problems I may run into!

Thanks,
-sheree

Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> wrote:

On Sep 7, 2004, at 2:03 PM, Sheree Hemphill wrote:

> I was wondering if this list (and port) is still active!?  Please
> reply if there are any active participants!  I just recently purchased
> my first HP Jornada 720 off of ebay & I love it.  But I'm very
> interested in trying to install linux on it.  Most of the listings
> I've found through my searches have given only partial instructions
> (or download links are no longer working), the listings are very
> dated, etc.  Just hoping to find some people currently working on this
> port to get some guidance from.

There are people here; but I can't tell you how much work has been done
on the port. I've had my 720 running NetBSD for a couple years
probably and it's setup the way I need it so I haven't upgraded....

Heck, someone may have even got audio working while I've not been
paying attention.

--0-1408320522-1094650445=:7628

<DIV>One more question to add to my previous email:</DIV>
<DIV>In the how to use document</DIV>
<DIV>(again, at: </DIV>">http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcarm/howto-use.html</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>it mentions the following:</DIV>
<DIV>"<FONT face="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"><A name=boot-flash>Booting from memory card</A></FONT> <FONT size=-1>(top)</FONT> <BR>This is probably the easiest way, for now. <BR>Connect some device to the serial port. Use 19200bps, no parity, 8bits."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The serial port referred to is the specialize port used to sync with the desktop computer, correct?&nbsp; Why is this necessary?&nbsp; And does it really not matter what device is connected to the serial port?&nbsp; Is the connection for synchronization okay to use?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks again!</DIV>
<DIV>-sheree</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>Sheree Hemphill &lt;sah18@sbcglobal.net&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV>Herb,</DIV>
<DIV>Thank you for responding!&nbsp; And it's great to hear that you have a working Jornada 720!&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>I do have 2 basic questions so far:</DIV>
<DIV>1. To install netbsd on the jornada, is it necessary to have a machine that is already running netbsd?&nbsp; I only currently have 2 windows xp machines.&nbsp; I did also create&nbsp;a Knoppix 3.6 cd, however, and was wondering if that would be sufficient.</DIV>
<DIV>2. I'm starting out by trying to follow the instructions here:</DIV>
<DIV><BR>This">http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcarm/howto-use.html<BR>This page indicates that there are 3 files needed:</DIV>
<DIV>---<BR>You need at least 3 files to start NetBSD/hpcarm. <BR><U>hpcboot.exe</U> <BR>bootloader which runs in the WindowsCE environment. It currently supports WinCE2.11 and PocketPC(WinCE 3.xx) machines. It is available at sys/arch/hpc/stand/binary/ARM/. (From the NetBSD-current sources; see http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/">Tracking NetBSD-current</A>.) <BR><U>netbsd (kernel)</U> <BR>For testing(JORNADA720): <A href="ftp%#%#%ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcarm/snapshot/kernel/netbsd-JORNADA720-20010623.gz://">ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcarm/snapshot/kernel/netbsd-JORNADA720-20010623.gz <BR><U>miniroot.fs</U> (filesystem image, generated with vnconfig) <BR>Coming soon. <BR>---</DIV>
<DIV>The link for the netbsd-JORNADA720-20010623.gz file is good.</DIV>
<DIV>However, do you know where I can find the miniroot.fs?&nbsp; I don't understand what this is exactly or what it is used for.</DIV>
<DIV>Also, I do already have an hpcboot.exe file -- I think I can use what I have, but I'm not sure (I'll try it and see).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There is also an article here that I found:</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>">http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/06/05/Big_Scary_Daemons.html</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm not sure which method is better/easier to start with.</DIV>
<DIV>Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.&nbsp; Or if you have any tips/instructions on how to proceed.&nbsp; I'm a linux newbie, so I want to minimize the problems I may run into!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>-sheree</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><B><I>Herb Peyerl &lt;hpeyerl@beer.org&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"><BR>On Sep 7, 2004, at 2:03 PM, Sheree Hemphill wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; I was wondering if this list (and port) is still active!?&nbsp; Please <BR>&gt; reply if there are any active participants!&nbsp; I just recently purchased <BR>&gt; my first HP Jornada 720 off of ebay &amp; I love it.&nbsp; But I'm very <BR>&gt; interested in trying to install linux on it.&nbsp; Most of the listings <BR>&gt; I've found through my searches have given only partial instructions <BR>&gt; (or download links are no longer working), the listings are very <BR>&gt; dated, etc.&nbsp; Just hoping to find some people currently working on this <BR>&gt; port to get some guidance from.<BR><BR>There are people here; but I can't tell you how much work has been done <BR>on the port. I've had my 720 running NetBSD for a couple years <BR>probably and it's setup the way I need it so I haven't upgraded....<BR><BR>He
 ck,
 someone may have even got audio working while I've not been <BR>paying attention.<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>
--0-1408320522-1094650445=:7628--