Subject: Re: is anyone still working on this port?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Sheree Hemphill <sah18@sbcglobal.net>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 09/08/2004 05:43:29
--0-1680869649-1094647409=:844

Herb,
Thank you for responding!  And it's great to hear that you have a working Jornada 720!
I do have 2 basic questions so far:
1. To install netbsd on the jornada, is it necessary to have a machine that is already running netbsd?  I only currently have 2 windows xp machines.  I did also create a Knoppix 3.6 cd, however, and was wondering if that would be sufficient.
2. I'm starting out by trying to follow the instructions here:
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcarm/howto-use.html
This page indicates that there are 3 files needed:
---
You need at least 3 files to start NetBSD/hpcarm.
hpcboot.exe
bootloader which runs in the WindowsCE environment. It currently supports WinCE2.11 and PocketPC(WinCE 3.xx) machines. It is available at sys/arch/hpc/stand/binary/ARM/. (From the NetBSD-current sources; see Tracking NetBSD-current.)
netbsd (kernel)
For testing(JORNADA720): ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcarm/snapshot/kernel/netbsd-JORNADA720-20010623.gz
miniroot.fs (filesystem image, generated with vnconfig)
Coming soon.
---
The link for the netbsd-JORNADA720-20010623.gz file is good.
However, do you know where I can find the miniroot.fs?  I don't understand what this is exactly or what it is used for.
Also, I do already have an hpcboot.exe file -- I think I can use what I have, but I'm not sure (I'll try it and see).

There is also an article here that I found:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/06/05/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

I'm not sure which method is better/easier to start with.
Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.  Or if you have any tips/instructions on how to proceed.  I'm a linux newbie, so I want to minimize the problems I may run into!

Thanks,
-sheree

Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org> wrote:

On Sep 7, 2004, at 2:03 PM, Sheree Hemphill wrote:

> I was wondering if this list (and port) is still active!?  Please
> reply if there are any active participants!  I just recently purchased
> my first HP Jornada 720 off of ebay & I love it.  But I'm very
> interested in trying to install linux on it.  Most of the listings
> I've found through my searches have given only partial instructions
> (or download links are no longer working), the listings are very
> dated, etc.  Just hoping to find some people currently working on this
> port to get some guidance from.

There are people here; but I can't tell you how much work has been done
on the port. I've had my 720 running NetBSD for a couple years
probably and it's setup the way I need it so I haven't upgraded....

Heck, someone may have even got audio working while I've not been
paying attention.

--0-1680869649-1094647409=:844

<DIV>Herb,</DIV>
<DIV>Thank you for responding!&nbsp; And it's great to hear that you have a working Jornada 720!&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>I do have 2 basic questions so far:</DIV>
<DIV>1. To install netbsd on the jornada, is it necessary to have a machine that is already running netbsd?&nbsp; I only currently have 2 windows xp machines.&nbsp; I did also create&nbsp;a Knoppix 3.6 cd, however, and was wondering if that would be sufficient.</DIV>
<DIV>2. I'm starting out by trying to follow the instructions here:</DIV>
<DIV><BR>This">http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcarm/howto-use.html<BR>This page indicates that there are 3 files needed:</DIV>
<DIV>---<BR>You need at least 3 files to start NetBSD/hpcarm. <BR><U>hpcboot.exe</U> <BR>bootloader which runs in the WindowsCE environment. It currently supports WinCE2.11 and PocketPC(WinCE 3.xx) machines. It is available at sys/arch/hpc/stand/binary/ARM/. (From the NetBSD-current sources; see http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/">Tracking NetBSD-current</A>.) <BR><U>netbsd (kernel)</U> <BR>For testing(JORNADA720): <A href="ftp%#%#%ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcarm/snapshot/kernel/netbsd-JORNADA720-20010623.gz://">ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcarm/snapshot/kernel/netbsd-JORNADA720-20010623.gz <BR><U>miniroot.fs</U> (filesystem image, generated with vnconfig) <BR>Coming soon. <BR>---</DIV>
<DIV>The link for the netbsd-JORNADA720-20010623.gz file is good.</DIV>
<DIV>However, do you know where I can find the miniroot.fs?&nbsp; I don't understand what this is exactly or what it is used for.</DIV>
<DIV>Also, I do already have an hpcboot.exe file -- I think I can use what I have, but I'm not sure (I'll try it and see).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There is also an article here that I found:</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>">http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/06/05/Big_Scary_Daemons.html</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm not sure which method is better/easier to start with.</DIV>
<DIV>Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.&nbsp; Or if you have any tips/instructions on how to proceed.&nbsp; I'm a linux newbie, so I want to minimize the problems I may run into!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>-sheree</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><B><I>Herb Peyerl &lt;hpeyerl@beer.org&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"><BR>On Sep 7, 2004, at 2:03 PM, Sheree Hemphill wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; I was wondering if this list (and port) is still active!?&nbsp; Please <BR>&gt; reply if there are any active participants!&nbsp; I just recently purchased <BR>&gt; my first HP Jornada 720 off of ebay &amp; I love it.&nbsp; But I'm very <BR>&gt; interested in trying to install linux on it.&nbsp; Most of the listings <BR>&gt; I've found through my searches have given only partial instructions <BR>&gt; (or download links are no longer working), the listings are very <BR>&gt; dated, etc.&nbsp; Just hoping to find some people currently working on this <BR>&gt; port to get some guidance from.<BR><BR>There are people here; but I can't tell you how much work has been done <BR>on the port. I've had my 720 running NetBSD for a couple years <BR>probably and it's setup the way I need it so I haven't upgraded....<BR><BR>He
 ck,
 someone may have even got audio working while I've not been <BR>paying attention.<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
--0-1680869649-1094647409=:844--