Subject: Re: is anyone still working on this port?
To: Sheree Hemphill <sah18@sbcglobal.net>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 09/08/2004 07:26:20
On Sep 8, 2004, at 6:43 AM, Sheree Hemphill wrote:
>  I do have 2 basic questions so far:
> 1. To install netbsd on the jornada, is it necessary to have a machine =
=20
> that is already running netbsd?=A0 I only currently have 2 windows xp =20=

> machines.=A0 I did also create=A0a Knoppix 3.6 cd, however, and was =20=

> wondering if that would be sufficient.
> 2. I'm starting out by trying to follow the instructions here:
> http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/hpcarm/howto-use.html
> This page indicates that there are 3 files needed:
> ---
> You need at least 3 files to start NetBSD/hpcarm.
>  hpcboot.exe
> bootloader which runs in the WindowsCE environment. It currently =20
> supports WinCE2.11 and PocketPC(WinCE 3.xx) machines. It is available =20=

> at sys/arch/hpc/stand/binary/ARM/. (=46rom the NetBSD-current sources; =
=20
> see Tracking NetBSD-current.)
> netbsd (kernel)
> For testing(JORNADA720): =20
> ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hpcarm/snapshot/kernel/netbsd-=20
> JORNADA720-20010623.gz
> miniroot.fs (filesystem image, generated with vnconfig)
> Coming soon.
> ---
> The link for the netbsd-JORNADA720-20010623.gz file is good.
> However, do you know where I can find the miniroot.fs?=A0 I don't =20
> understand what this is exactly or what it is used for.
> Also, I do already have an hpcboot.exe file -- I think I can use what =20=

> I have, but I'm not sure (I'll try it and see).

I don't know where to get miniroot.fs but you may not need it. The =20
kernel probably has a miniroot built into it already so when you boot =20=

the kernel off your flash card with hpcboot.exe,  you will get a =20
memory-disk filesystem already.  Just hit return when the kernel =20
prompts you for 'root device' and 'swap device'... Once you're in the =20=

shell, you can use fdisk, disklabel, newfs, and so on to build your =20
flash filesystem You'll probably also be able to ifconfig and ftp the =20=

rest of the distribution and untar it...  You'll need to slide a NIC =20
into the pccard slot if you want to download the rest of the =20
distribution.

Having another unix machine handy is helpful so you can untar the =20
distribution and pick/choose the pieces you want.  I have a 256MB card =20=

in my Jornada and that is lots of room for a base OS and X...   If you =20=

just have XP machines, then you can probably grab cygwin, and use that =20=

to download, untar the distribution, and pick/choose your bits...

Like I say, I haven't gone through the installation in a long time and =20=

I did my installation on another NetBSD machine anyway.

> Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.=A0 Or if you have any =20=

> tips/instructions on how to proceed.=A0 I'm a linux newbie, so I want =
to =20
> minimize the problems I may run into!

You should probably not listen to anything I say.  I'm only guessing =20
how it's put together.   There are probably smarter people around who =20=

are more acquainted with how things are done these days.