Subject: hi
To: None <port-hpcarm@NetBSD.org>
From: Lorant Toth <LorantToth@gmx.net>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 07/06/2004 16:13:18
hey folks,

I am pretty new to NetBSD and currently trying to run port-hpcarm on a
Jornada720 - so far I've been quite successful (after lots of
unsuccessful tries of disklabeling the CF card - in the end I figured
how to use linux fdisk to do it :) )
So far I must say NetBSD feels nice and light, I feel in control of the
system - as opposed to modern linux distros :) even though I have to
consult the manuals now and then.

My main problem is that X11 does not operate correctly, touchscreen
works but the keyboard mapping seems completely random - I can't seem to
find a pattern and xmodmap'ing does not help either. Keys are totally
randomly mapped, some keys not at all - could be a problem I've read
about in this list's archive, end of 2003 methinks.

I got and installed a binary build from releng:
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-2-0/200406120000/hpcarm/binary/sets/
.

As a side-note:  for me X would not run at first! Then I installed an
older release of X11 that was posted on this list and it finally worked
after overinstalling the releng files again. Maybe a font was missing or so.

Anyway, X11 works now - when running on ttyE0 - except for the keyboard
:( I read the conversations on the list about wrong raw keycodes (and so
on if I remember right) and of a proposed fix. My keyboard does not work
with the last releng build though,

Then I installed NetBSD-2-0 on a K6-300, got the sources from CVS and
built the system in about 12hrs :) if I add MKX11=yes build fails...

So the questions, what was the latest known working X11 build (date,
branch, ...?) ? Does anybody have the patches for the keyboard in case
they're not in CVS yet? What would I have to look at to try to figure
out the problem - from when I took slight glimpes into the source when X
was not working at all (supposedly missing font) I guess Xhpc sources
would be causing the troubles?

To cross-compile, I basically followed the instructions from the ONLAMP
O'Reilly NetBSD on Palmtop article and ran:
#MKX11=yes ./build.sh -m hpcarm -T /usr/hpcarmtools -u -U -D
/usr/hpcarmbuild distribution  ( "-u" b/c I built the rest before).

Some help would be very appreciated and I hope this was not to detailed :)

NetBSD Jornada looks awesome - keep up the good work.
- Lorant