Subject: Re: external mouse support
To: None <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 12/18/2003 15:00:43
   Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>  wrote:
    >    Has anyone tried to connect a serial mouse in Jornada through that port in the
    >    back?
    >    That would solve the problems related to stylus limitations...

   "that port on the back"?  As in the "usb-device" port?

   That's the equivalent of asking whether someone has tried plugging a mouse
   into a USB camera.

Not exactly what I am refering to....

My Jornada 720 connects to a docking station that provides USB for the
purposes of syncing to an external storage system.  This isn't the port
that I am talking about or what was asked in the original email.  Indeed,
and unfortunally, it appears that the 720 has some sort of custom USB
thingie in it that really does all of the sync up work, instead of having
the thingie in the docking station itself.  The specs for the chips used
in the 720 imply that there should be a normal USB controller in there
some place but there does not appear to be any access to the controller.

There is a port on the back of mine that is actually a fairly normal
serial port.  The connector for it looks a bit like a USB connector and is
on the left side if you are looking at the back of the battery.  It is
often used for serial consoles, but if you choose not to do that, you can
use it for a serial mouse.  You just need to have wskbd / wsmux / wsmouse
support in your kernel, an X server that will use wscons and a slight
recompile of moused [due to signed-char issues].  This will all work fine
and provide you with a serial mouse instead of the stylus device.

--
Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org -- KC8VKS
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]