Subject: Re: Viewsonic V37?
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@psi.cz>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 10/07/2003 00:35:53
Hello,

> I recently got a ViewSonic V37... any thoughts on getting NetBSD
> running on it? I tried the old netbsd-IPAQ20010708.gz kernel, but I
> don't know if it's even trying to boot it. In hpcboot, I have the path
> set to "\My Flash Disk\", filename "netbsd". Root filesystem is set to
> "wd", serial console is enabled at 19200 baud. I've tried all the
> choices in the machine type dropdown list. When I try to boot,
> "--------HPCBOOT--------" is written to the serial port,
> BOOT START
> ARM architecture.
> MemoryManager: LockPages
> BaudRate 19200, ByteSize 0x8, Parity 0, StopBits 0
>
> is displayed in hpcboot's Console tab, and I get two boxes in the
> progress bar. Nothing happens after that, but hpcboot is still
> responsive. I can tap "CANCEL" and run hpcboot again. The same thing
> happens even if I put a nonexistent kernel name in the textbox, which
> is why I'm wondering if it's even trying to read the kernel.

According to a look at google, your machine is XScale (PXA255) based.
NetBSD/hpcarm in it's current shape does not support this CPU, it only
works for StrongARM (evbarm has code for this CPU in -current though).

> I'm in the process of building a cross compile toolchain, and will try
> to make my own kernel (with options CPU_XSCALE_PXA2X0?)...

I'm afraid somewhat more work would be needed to get this running.
I intented to play with it myself (I have a XScale based iPaq), but
I ran out of free time :-/.

	Regards,
		-- Jachym Holecek