Subject: Re: Buying a Jornada for NetBSD
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
From: Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 01/26/2003 19:10:07
On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 12:46:16AM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 02:30:02PM -0500, Michael Lucas wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm thinking about buying a palmtop to run NetBSD on before the end of
> > the month.  Before I go plop down a pile of cash, I was hoping someone
> > here would tell me if I'm about to make a costly mistake.
> >
> > here's what I'm thinking of getting:
> >
> > Jornada 728
> > IBM 1G Microdrive with CF interface
> > WaveLan PC-Card
> >
> > >From private discussions with a couple of people, it seems this would
> > work, but if anyone is running with similar hardware, or has a better
> > suggestion, it would be nice to hear.
>
> I think Microdrives are Type II CF, whilst the slot in the 728 is Type
> I CF.  I have a SanDisk 512 MB CF in mine, and am quite happy with it.
> The 728 has 64 MB of RAM, but NetBSD only sees 32 MB of it (or it does
> on mine, anyway). I have a DWL 650 wireless card. I'm very, very pleased
> with the combination.

Aw, dang interface versions!  :-)

I was hoping for an actual hard drive instead of a flash card, simply
because I'm concerned about wearing out a flash device.  I plan to do
some writing about NetBSD in the near future, which would be cool to
do on a NetBSD palmtop, but it involves a certain amount of writing to
the drive.  (While I could nfs mount /usr/ports and /usr/src, NFS
mounting /home/mwlucas/documents would really limit my flexibility.)

Plan B would be to have a wireless card with a CF I interface.  Since
I don't have a Jornada to play with, I'll ask here; does anyone know
of or recommend such a card?  If not, I'll just go with Alistair's
configuration.

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I especially appreciate them before
spending the money.

 ==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org