Subject: Re: How can I help?
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 12/20/2002 09:01:38
--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0

Hello,

soembody asked me:

>                                 ...but unfortunately I don't have any
> experience with netBSD or the netBSD kernel so I'm going to need some
> help on compiling the kernel. I currently run Linux on my home machine
> so If you could give me some pointers on how to compile the netBSD/arm
> toolchain and kernel on Linux, then I can start trying to duplicate your
> efforts on my Jornada 820.

Ok.

Unpack (or cvs checkout) _all_ of NetBSD-current sources to a place with
lots of space. You may do this as an unriviledged user.=20

add mkdirs to create this hierarchy:

=2E.../src/...		NetBSD sources
=2E.../rha/		for release-like output of the build process
=2E.../dha/		the destination of the build
=2E.../tha/		the toolchain
=2E.../oha/		intermediate objects

Create this helper script in ..../src/bha.sh

#!/bin/sh
=2E/build.sh -m hpcarm -R ../rha --D ../dha -T ../tha -O ../oha -U $*

(you may use absolute paths here if you like)

go to ..../src ; ./bha.sh -t should build a cross-toolchain in ..../tha;
you should find a useful make in ..../tha/bin/nbmake-hpcarm after that,
and ..../tha/bin/nbconfig will be the useful kernel config program.

You can use ./bha.sh -k FOO to configure and build a kernel out of the
configuration file FOO, but I didn't try that yet. You can define
a KERNOBJDIR=3D/some/path in that script, too, so that the kernel is at=20
a better reachable directory than inside oha or dha (I forgot).

Regards,
	Ignatios

--=20
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/