Subject: Re: First Try at hpcarm installation files
To: None <jmitchel@bigjar.com>
From: None <duck@sophos.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 12/03/2002 16:15:45
Thanks to the "Japanese" tip, I now have wscons working fine, so I don't
need to do everything via the console :-)

Except for one problemette -- when I boot, I get "boot device: unknown" on
the console and thus I need to type in the name of the root device (or
press <Enter> -- it guesses correctly at wd0a) in order to complete the
boot.

I have chosen "wd" in the HPCBOOT menu as my root device, but this doesn't
seem to help. How can I make the device boot cleanly so that no
intervention is required to get to a wscons login: prompt? Would a
mini-mfsroot solve this problem?

PS: to all who have worked on this port over the last couple of years...a
*very* big thanks from me. Now my Jornada is useful! I've already got most
of the utils I want running, including ssh and lynx/links. This rocks. My
next quest is to get a long-life battery from somewhere for in-flight
programming.

PPS: when I press the power button, an error is reported and the backlight
stays on. Then when I press any other key, the backlight goes off...until I
press the power button/other key sequence. This suits my needs fine, but is
it correct? Does the -current kernel do this (I'm using the as-released 1.6
kernel, I think).

PPPS: has anyone tried one of those PCMCIA VGA cards? Are they any good,
and does the NetBSD code include support for them? I give quite a lot of
seminars and would dearly love to use the 720 for my slides. I have a
Toshiba Libretto (800g, and still causes gasps of amazement) but a
non-Windows 720 would rock the boat, steal the show, and mix any metaphor
you care to provide :-)