Subject: First Try at hpcarm installation files
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Mitchell <jmitchel@bigjar.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 12/02/2002 19:25:25
Hello,

	I've taken a first step to creating an easier way to install hpcarm on a
Jornada 720. What I've done is built a kernel with a very minimal ramdisk
(sh, init, fdisk, mount, newfs_msdos) and some additional utilities. The
idea is that someone with a compact flash reader could partition the flash
card under dos (leaving blank space for NetBSD) and copy over the kernel,
hpcboot, and the other utilities (e.g. ls,cp,tar,gzip,ftp etc.) After
booting the install kernel, they could mount the dos partition and run the
utilities from there. A complete listing of the steps is:

Use Compact Flash reader on a PC (running Windows, Linux, whatever) to
partition the flash card.
Copy over the install files.
Put the card in the Jornada
Run HPCBoot (select HP Jornada720 (Japanese) and run the install kernel
(JINSTALL.gz)
Then (from a serial port @ 19200)

mount /dev/wd0e /usr/bin (so all the utilities on the DOS partition are in
the path)

Use fdisk to create a NetBSD partition.
Use Disklabel to allocate space among the slices
Use Newfs to create a filesystem
Mount the new ffs filesystem (mount /dev/wd0a /mnt)
Use ftp to download base.tgz
Unpack it onto the new ffs filesystem (gunzip -?? base.tgz | tar -xvf -)
Download a regular kernel

	Then they could install the other files. Of course there are many, many
variations to this. The general idea is that you don't have to have a NetBSD
system to install NetBSD on a Jornada.

	Anyway, this all works, but I could use a little help to make it a little
smoother. First, is there a way to make init automatically pop up a shell?
Right now it prints the message "can't find /etc/pwd.db, enter path to shell
..." which works, but requires one more step. If we could start a shell
could it be started on the wsconsole?

	The files are at ftp://www.rtgx.com/pub/hpcarm-dist/install-files. Whenever
people think they are ready, I'd like to move them to ftp.netbsd.org. Oh,
and the ramdisk is ftp://www.rtgx.com/pub/hpcarm-dist/boot3800.fs if anyone
wants to make the changes directly.

Thanks,

Jason M.