Subject: Re: Window Manager?
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 10/24/2002 08:15:24
Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>  wrote:
 > on all my other boxes, but somehow believe that's probably not a good
 > choice for the Jornada.  I'm looking for a wm with virtual desktops,
 > configurable, and not too bloated.  Something aimed at the hpc market
 > would be great (small, virtual windows, can use a pen as a pointer and
 > selector naturally), but I'm not holding my breath. If necessary, I
 > can package...

I'm too lazy to solve this dilemma but, as always, welcome others to solve
it for us. :)  Somewhere along the way I ran across a blackbox config file for
Lignux on the J720 but I haven't been able to find it since.

 > 3. is anyone using a gprs card with an hpcarm box? If so, which one, and
 > any stories to tell, good or bad?

I use the novatelwireless gprs card and it works fine, for the most part. I
think the local carrier changed something when they went from 'beta' to
'production' so now I have to update my firmware again.

 > 5.  I've had good experience with 128 MB Memorex CF cards (again,
 > thanks Herb), but bad experience with a Kingston 256 MB CF card.  Does
 > anyone else have experience (good or bad, with different CF cards, so
 > that I can make an informed purchase of something mondo for the
 > Jornada.  Deleting binaries which won't get used loses its appeal
 > after the second or third time.

I have a Memorex 256MB card and it's dandy.  I also have a "Muse 128MB"
card and it wishes is could suck goat testes but isn't good enough even
for that.  Personally, unless I could try them in the store, I wouldn't
buy anything but Memorex or Sandisk.

 > 6. Has anyone used a "PC card to VGA out" adapter? I'd like to be able
 > to have that kind of functionality. HP make one, and a glance across
 > the net via Google shows someone able to use an iPAQ with such a card,
 > and I wanted to know if we had a driver for it, etc.

actually, I was thinking about a USB keyboard but I'm betting the J720
is a USB Device, not host. Or heck, a USB Mouse... but ah well. I know
the intent is to be portable but sometimes you just want a real keyboard
and mouse.