Subject: Window Manager?
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 10/24/2002 16:05:35
Thanks to the evangelism and patience Herb, I've stumped up the
readies for an HP 720, put 1.6I on there, and with thanks to many
people on the list here, now have X running, and the Fn key working
enough to be able to use the '[', ']' et al keys. Kudos to you all -
it's such a nice environment, especially with my wi0 card in there.

Onto more mundane matters:

1.  what window manager does everyone use?  I'm used to enlightenment
on all my other boxes, but somehow believe that's probably not a good
choice for the Jornada.  I'm looking for a wm with virtual desktops,
configurable, and not too bloated.  Something aimed at the hpc market
would be great (small, virtual windows, can use a pen as a pointer and
selector naturally), but I'm not holding my breath. If necessary, I
can package...

2.  are there any other terminal packages which do the "squashed text"
well, like the Jornada console, such that you can get 24 lines in 240
pixels?

3. is anyone using a gprs card with an hpcarm box? If so, which one, and
any stories to tell, good or bad?

4. if not gprs, how do people connect up to the big bad world from their
hpcarm box? IR to a mobile phone? PC card modem?

5.  I've had good experience with 128 MB Memorex CF cards (again,
thanks Herb), but bad experience with a Kingston 256 MB CF card.  Does
anyone else have experience (good or bad, with different CF cards, so
that I can make an informed purchase of something mondo for the
Jornada.  Deleting binaries which won't get used loses its appeal
after the second or third time.

6. Has anyone used a "PC card to VGA out" adapter? I'd like to be able
to have that kind of functionality. HP make one, and a glance across
the net via Google shows someone able to use an iPAQ with such a card,
and I wanted to know if we had a driver for it, etc.

Thanks for all your help up to now. This is such a cute little box.

Alistair