Subject: Re: Re touch screen problem
To: None <jvodan@telkom.net>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 08/30/2002 11:56:44
   All the devices major and minor numbers match, so do the permissions

   This may give an indication of the problem

   I ran  ktrace /usr/X11R6/bin/Xhpc :0 via  init ~/.xserverrc

   The dump shows no reference to wsmouse[x], yet shows the open on
   /dev/wsmux0 and /dev/wskbd0.
   according to the source the mouse is open right after the keyboard

I think I may understand what is going on now...

The X server tries the following:

It tries to open /dev/wsmuxN

Then, in a for loop, it will try to open:

/dev/wskbdN, if it wasn't or didn't open before

/dev/wsmouseN, if it wasn't or didn't open before

So, if the open of /dev/wsmuxN fails, it will go ahead and open
/dev/wsmouseN.  Since I don't run as root, and Xhpc isn't setuid root, the
first always fails for me.  Are you running as root???

[snip]

   The relevant (perhaps) section of the ktrace
     203 Xhpc     NAMI  "/dev/wsmux0"
       203 Xhpc     RET   open 5
       203 Xhpc     CALL  open(0xbfbfdbb4,0x2,0xbfbfdbbf)

Ya, it succeeded in opening /dev/wsmux0.  That would not have happened for
me.

With the MERIADOC #7 or #8 kernels, if you remove /dev/wsmux* or chmod 0
them, things are likely to work.

There is a typo in the config file for the Jornada.  In particular, these
lines:

wskbd*		at j720ssp?	mux 1
wsmouse*	at j720ssp?	mux 1

... should be like the following ...

wskbd*		at j720ssp?	mux 1
wsmouse*	at j720ssp?	mux 0

At least that is how the i386 plateform has them, and, indeed, things seem
to work on the Jornada with wsmux with the above change.

I'v put up another MERIADOC kernel, #9, that contains a hopefully better
way to map the Fn key to Altgr [a PR will occur later about this, again]
and the above change.  It is available at:

ftp://anduin.eldar.org/pub/NetBSD/hpcarm/netbsd.MERIADOC9.gz

I'v also put up a number of hpcarm packages.  They were created by doing a
'make package' in /usr/pkgsrc/FOO.  I have not tested any of these binary
archives.  These are located at:

ftp://anduin.eldar.org/pub/NetBSD/hpcarm/unofficial_hpcarm_packages/

Right now, the following are present:

Mesa-3.4.2nb1.tgz
MesaLib-3.4.2.tgz
emacs-21.2.tgz