Subject: Re: Jornada X keyboard problems.
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 08/20/2002 08:55:29
Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>  wrote:
 > [A slightly related question]
 >
 > Is it possible to make the touchscreen hold a "mouse" button down and not
 > just produce a quick click??  It is very hard to use the menus in twm,
 > xterm and probably emacs with just a button click??

I was gonna go there next.  I was thinking we'd probably have to go
with a window manager that could use single button clicks with a desktop
manager of some sort.  waste of real-estate however...

 > What I had noticed is that every key would repeat, apparently forever.
 > After some debugging statements were inserted into the Xhpc server, I also
 > noticed that the raw key codes being used by the X server did not match
 > any sort of reality that I could figure out.

oh yeah. I forgot about that.  I put 'xset r off' in my .xinitrc to get
over that.  Maybe that was foiling my attempts to debug my problem. Or
rather, was a side-effect of the real problem. It stands to reason that
if keypress/keyrelease events get out of sync, there'd be repetition.

Anyway....

 > On a hunch, I reenabled the use of /dev/wskbd in the Xhpc server, as that
 > appears to work on hpcarm.  Here is a little patch that you apply against
 > the file:
 >
 > 	       xc/programs/Xserver/hw/netbsd/hpc/hpcInit.c

Cool.  I'm not in a position to be able to compile Xhpc. Can you put a
binary somewhere?

Thanks for the efforts.