Subject: Booting on the Jornada 820..
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: John Mitchell <john@cepros.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 07/08/2002 10:18:36
Morning (well, at least here in Alaska),

    I just have a couple of questions.

    I have been successful at booting NetBSD on my Jornada 820 up to
mounting a root filesystem. Since there is not support for the PCMCIA
slot or the CF slot yet I need a root filesystem to run from RAM, but I
have no idea how to create something like this. Can someone give me some
pointers? Is there a pre-built animal out there? I have a PC running
Mandrake 8.2 will I need to load NetBSD on it as well?

    Also, I am interested in getting the PCMCIA and CF slots working on
my 820. What is currently needed to get things going? Is it just that
there is currently no support for the SA-1100 companion chip?

    Okay, last question. I want to become a kernel hacker, but have no
idea what to do to start. Is there someplace I can start to understand
things like the hardware initialization process, getting the kernel into
memory, getting it going, and what not? Would it make sense to go get
something simpler like a LART and play with it instead of working with
my Jornada (I want my Jornada to work so bad!)?

Thanks,

--
    John P. Mitchell
    john@cepros.com