Subject: Re: current jornada 720
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 02/27/2002 14:24:35
According to Todd Vierling:

>The iPAQ has internal flash memory that can be uprooted and replaced with
>another OS (such as NetBSD or Lunix).

Yes, for those who are brave enough to risk turning the thing into a
brick and having to send it back to Compaq for resusitation.

>Instead, the Jornada 720 has masked ROM -- when it boots, you get WinCE,
>like it or not.  If the WinCE datastore has been wiped, the machine will
>then proceed to require a recalibration of the touchscreen, setting the
>clock, etc., just to be able to get back to WinCE so that you can run
>hpcboot.exe again.

Yes, I feel your pain, that happens to me too when I use hpcboot.exe.
This is what I mean by turning into a doorbell, the damn thing has so
many bings/bops/ping/tada/whatever sounds that it drives me nuts just
getting to the point where I can turn them all off again (why M$ think
every event should have a sound is beyond me)

>If nothing else, the datastore needs to be preserved so that the machine can
>reboot to WinCE without acting like it had been powered on from a completely
>dead battery.

Yes, 100% agree this would be a very nice feature.  I wonder if the
linux peoples have a solution for it.