Subject: Re: current jornada 720
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 02/26/2002 22:02:20
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Brett Lymn wrote:

: >(I'm not going to be touching it, as my jornada is stuck in wince mode until
: >such time that a way to preserve the wince datastore across reboots exists.)
:
: There is the wince data backup tool... as long as you have a
: reasonable sized CF device (the 1Gig ibm microdrives have come down a
: lot ;-) then you can easily backup and restore.  I have done that a
: few times on my ipaq when it turns doorbell on me ;-)

That != saving the datastore.  The "backup tool" rebuilds databases from
backup data, which creates data no longer properly synchronizable with a
desktop machine (because the database record numbers have changed).  Not to
mention that you have to recalibrate the device after a NetBSD reboot, since
the whole datastore is wiped at that point.

No, I mean that NetBSD needs a way to preserve the physical RAM pages used
by the datastore so that after reboot, WinCE loads up as if nothing changed.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/