Subject: Re: current jornada 720
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 02/26/2002 06:56:09
Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  wrote:
 > :  > : Recently hpcarm kernel was broken and unable to boot.
 > :  > : I commited some fixes a few days ago and the kernel should boot unless
 > :  > : you turn off "serial console" option on hpcboot.
 > :  >
 > Well, the note above states that the kernel will not currently boot if you
 > turn *off* serial console.  (And I've had problems doing anything other than
 > serial console in the past, so I interpreted that as the meaning of the
 > statement above.  :)

I see. ok.  I've always had "serial console" enabled as per older
instructions somewhere. For this reason, I could never see the
kernel printf output and just had to wait for a login: prompt to
appear.

 > Your serial-sync cable is a null modem version of it (and incidentally,
 > makes a perfect "console cable" for using the jornada as an emergency serial
 > console).  There's a non-null-modem version--a short 4" cable with DB9M
 > instead of DB9F--that you can get from HP for $20.

Ah.  I got my J720 from a friend and I don't think I got such a cable.

It plugs into the USB port I assume?