Subject: Re: current jornada 720
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 02/26/2002 08:48:41
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Herb Peyerl wrote:

:  > : Recently hpcarm kernel was broken and unable to boot.
:  > : I commited some fixes a few days ago and the kernel should boot unless
:  > : you turn off "serial console" option on hpcboot.
:  >
:  > Has fb console ever worked?  (And will it be fixed to work again?)
:  > Serial console only makes the jornada720 somewhat difficult for "useful"
:  > apps.  :)
:
: It's the only way I've ever used my 720.  wscons and all.

Well, the note above states that the kernel will not currently boot if you
turn *off* serial console.  (And I've had problems doing anything other than
serial console in the past, so I interpreted that as the meaning of the
statement above.  :)

: actually, where's the serial port?  (I know, dumb question)

Your serial-sync cable is a null modem version of it (and incidentally,
makes a perfect "console cable" for using the jornada as an emergency serial
console).  There's a non-null-modem version--a short 4" cable with DB9M
instead of DB9F--that you can get from HP for $20.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/