Subject: Re: very cool.
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 07/19/2001 11:24:37
On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Herb Peyerl wrote:

: 3) is there any way to avoid having to pull the battery to reboot and have to
: recalibrate your stylus every time?  The wonder and joy of that experience is
: beginning to wane somewhat.

Ditto.  I actually have use for the CringeOS (okay, bad alias for "WinCE")
at times, particularly the organizer bits and low-profile graphical web
browser.  (Mozilla is one hell of a resource hog.)

To hpc gurus:  Is there doc available that tells where WinCE stores its
in-use data pages such that they might be preserved (and untouched) by the
pmap?  This would reduce the amount of memory available to NetBSD, but I
keep my WinCE storage memory low (<4MB), and install all programs to CF
anyway.  If done, this would mean that rebooting out of NetBSD would boot
back into WinCE without any data loss.

: 4) I don't think I'd actually want to use an X server on the thing, preferring
: instead to just use "screen" and save my web browsing for computers with actual
: screen real-estate.  But, has anyone built a simple-stupid X server for this
: thing yet?

There is a hpcfb device; if this has enough functionality to create a
Sun-style /dev/fb, X display code should work without modification.
However, there's no wsmouse yet for the stylus.

Note that X would be rather cool -- there are times I've wished that I could
use the serial widget to hook up a real mouse.

On the lightweight side (for those who have real CF memory, and thus, want
to avoid putting swap space on it), there's also the possibility of using
the linear framebuffer hacks to vncviewer, and connecting to a remote Xvnc.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/