Subject: Re: Monochrome iPAQ support?
To: Gopi D Flaherty <gf2e+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 07/17/2001 10:41:10
According to Gopi D Flaherty:

>I'm wondering, how much further can I get with this device? Skimming the
>source via cvsweb, I didn't see any mention of mono support. Is it
>present/imagined/being worked on, or is this something that I should
>start to work on myself?

I have a ipaq 3150 supposedly winging it's way to me as I type, I too
am interested in getting this going - particularly getting the pcmcia
support in so I can get my wavelan going :-)

>Finally, an idea I have for the console. For character by character
>entry, I am a big fan of gesture input, with graffiti on the Newton
>MessagePad (and, later, PalmOS) being a prime example. I was thinking of
>a console driver which would take over the entire screen, and would let
>you use gesture strokes to input characters. Not a hugely revolutionary
>project, but it'll probably be the first thing I work on once I get the
>screen to function.

I too was thinking of this - actually, wsmux may be a very interesting
way of gluing a gesture based character recognition process onto
console input.  I don't know how feasible it is but you may be able to
take the guts of xscribble, chop out all the X based stuff and just
feed the gesture stream into the core of xscribble and then put the
recognised characters down the wsmux connection.  I don't know if this
is possible or not - I am basing this on the assumption that we can
separate out the gesture recognition and source the input data from a
different place.