Subject: Cross-compiling from FreeBSD
To: None <port-hpcarm@netbsd.org>
From: Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
List: port-hpcarm
Date: 06/21/2001 12:51:33
Gentlemen,

I have a FreeBSD machine that I am trying to build the npcarm kernel
from and I'm having some troubles.  Here is what I've done so far:

1) built the cross tools and installed as /usr/local/cross.
2) built config with make -f Makefile.boot and copied to
/usr/local/cross/bin.
3) built make with make -f Makefile.boot and copied to
/usr/local/cross/bin
4) ran /usr/local/cross/bin/config IPAQ in the conf directory.
5) exported environment variables for CC,LD,AS,NM,etc as specified on
the web page.
6) ran /usr/local/cross/bin/make depend in ../compile/IPAQ.

I get an error message....

[sean@blue IPAQ]$ /usr/local/cross/bin/make depend
depending the kern library objects
no ARCHSUBDIR for arm32 nor
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in
/usr/home/sean/netbsd/syssrc/sys/arch/hpcarm/compile/IPAQ/lib/kern
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /home/sean/netbsd/syssrc/sys/arch/hpcarm/compile/IPAQ

I've tried with the FreeBSD make too with the same result.

Looking over the Makefile.inc and Makefile in the lib/libkern directory
everything looks ok, but something is obviously not getting passed into
make correctly.  It appears that MACHINE_CPU has to be set to arm.  I
don't know if this is correct or not.

After I do that, I get the following:

[sean@blue IPAQ]$ /usr/local/cross/bin/make depend
depending the kern library objects
make: don't know how to make __assert.c. Stop

make: stopped in
/usr/home/sean/netbsd/syssrc/sys/arch/hpcarm/compile/IPAQ/lib/kern
*** Error code 2

Stop.
make: stopped in /home/sean/netbsd/syssrc/sys/arch/hpcarm/compile/IPAQ

Is there anyone out there that has built from CVS on a platform other
than NetBSD that could perhaps assist me in getting through all these
little obstacles?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean