Subject: Strange core dump in newfs_lfs(8).
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 12/11/2006 20:20:49
Hi.

I tried to use LFS on one of my hp700 machines. newfs_lfs(8) dumped core
with a segmentation fault immediately. ktrace(1) showed that this must
happen quite early in startup. I recompiled newfs_lfs(8) with a debug
printf(3) as the first statement in main(): Segmentation fault (core
dumped), without any output. I renamed main() to main2(), added a new
main() that does nothing else as a debug printf(3) and then calling
main2(). This time I get output from the debug printf(3) in main() but
still as soon as main2() (the real main()) is called: Segmentation fault
(core dumped). I suspected some stack interaction and moved all
variables to the outside of main() to make them glabal, i.e. BSS instead
stack. Still the same. Segmentation fault as soon as main() is caled.
gdb(1) doesn't work and now I am lost. I don't have an idea what is
happenig here. Version is -current as of Friday and I had the same
problem with a build from late November.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen