Subject: Re: NetBSD 3.0 working on a 715/64 with only a few core dumps
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 01/22/2006 11:13:05
	version=3.0.3
Sender: port-hp700-owner@NetBSD.org

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

Guten Tag Jochen and all the others reading this thread.

Quoting Jochen Kunz (jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de):
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:25:35 -0500
> Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com> wrote:
>
> > a) The system does not update the HW clock.  Probably a known TODO,
> >    but I get the following message when rebooting (which is no big
> >    deal):
> >
> >     WARNING: clock lost 13016 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
> Yes, The HW clock is a TODO... For now you may set the HW clock via the
> firmware menue.

I do not see a way to do that.  My 715/64 has bootrom version 1.3, and
when I look at the menu, I see the commands shown in the attached
file, which also shows more detailed information about this system.
Nowhere do I see something which would indicate to me that I can set
the HW clock through that path.  Perhaps it is old firmware, or
perhaps it is one of those minor differences which exist between
models.

> > c) I have seen core dumps from newsyslog, sendmail, egrep and sshd.
> [...]
> >    I will probably be looking at these core files sometime in the next
> >    week if I get a chance.
> If you wane dig into this: GCC has code generation bugs in the hppa
> backend. Somtimes it fails with "internal compiler error" or it
> generates invalid assembler code. (This two errors are comon when cross
> building on a LP64 host.) In these two cases compilation is aborted with
> an error message. Somtimes the compiler siliently emits invalid code.
> Sometimes resultig in a SIGILL, sometimes the code fails in verry
> strange ways. You may be bitten by this. You can recompile the affected
> programms with -O0, this may cure the problems with invalid code.

The build platform in this case is running an AMD Athlon 2200+.  I
will certainly keep this in mind, as I have been seeing bugs in all
sorts of compilers (including HP's own compilers in both HP/UX 9 and
HP/UX 10) for 25 years, and having known bugs definitely increases the
likelyhood of this being the case.  Of course, perhaps between the
previously mentioned four and locate.bigram.core, perhaps I can find a
pattern and can narrow things down.

> We should get GCC 4.x in the near future, maybe we are in luck and the
> bugs are gone with 4.x.

And new ones we do not know show up...   I have lost track of the
number of times folks have said "let's upgrade to GCC x.y because we
have bugs a, b, and c" only to find out that bugs d, e and f were just
as bad.

> > d) I now find myself wishing that we had X11. ;)  But I realize there
> >    is still some other work to do, such as getting the HW clock
> >    updating. ;)
> ... and many other things...

Indeed.  Such is always the case.  I may see if I can find the docs on
the HW clock and perhaps get that working on my 715/64, and maybe even
get the builds generating what was referred to as "SYSNBSD" during
builds.  I will probably do this at the same time the other boot
loaders are built, and then copy it to the install directory during
the release target build.  However, I am still in the early stages of
bring-up on several CPCI (CompactPCI) boards based on the PPC750
family, and that is going to be my higher priority for most of my
NetBSD work until I get them up (unless I manage to find a few
ZT5504's at the right price).

> > e) At some point, we probably should think about updating the FAQs,
> >    todos, release notes, etc.
> Feel free to send patches to www@. ;-)

I certainly plan on doing this.

Thanks!

- Doug

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

Command					Description
-------					-----------
Auto [boot|search] [on|off]		Set/show auto mode
Boot [pri|alt [isl]]			Boot from primary or alternate path
Boot [scsi|eisa.<slot>[.<addr>]] [isl]	Boot from SCSI or EISA
Boot lan[.<addr>] [install] [isl]	Boot from LAN
Chassis [on|off]			Set/show chassis codes display mode
DefaultSS [on|off]			Set/show diagnostic boot mode
Fastboot [on|off]			Set/show fast boot mode
Help					Show this command menu
Information				Show system information
LanAddress				Show LAN station addresses
Monitor [<DEV>[.<type>]]		Set/show graphics monitor type
					(<DEV>=graphics|graphics_<1|2>)
Path [pri|alt [<DEV>[.<addr>]]]		Set/show boot source path
					(<DEV>=lan|scsi|eisa.<slot>)
Path [console [<DEV>[.<parm>]]]		Set/show boot console path
					(<DEV>=<RS232>|<GRAPH>
					 <RS232>=rs232|rs232_2
					 <GRAPH>=graphics|graphics<1|2>
					 <parm>=<monitor>)
Path [keyboard [hil|ps2]]		Set/show boot keyboard path
Pim [hpmc|toc|lpmc]			Show PIM info
Search [ipl] [scsi|eisa]		Show potential boot devices
Search [ipl] [lan [install]]		Show potential boot LAN devices
Secure [on|off]				Set/show security mode
BOOT_ADMIN> auto boot
auto boot on
auto search on
BOOT_ADMIN> chassis
chassis codes off
BOOT_ADMIN> diagnostic
disgnostic_boot on
BOOT_ADMIN> fast
fastboot off
BOOT_ADMIN> info

System model number: HP 9000/715/64
Processor revision 2.2   64MHz
Instruction Cache Size:  131072
Data Cache Size          131072
Memory Size:  64MB
Built in floating point coprocessor
Board Serial Number 401103Z255

BootRom Version:   1.3

auto boot on
auto search on
fastboot off

Primary boot path:     lan.000000-000000.0.0
Alternate boot path:   scsi.6.0
Console path:          graphics.1
Keyboard path:         ps2

LAN Station Addresses: 080009-0AC226
                       080009-0AC227

BOOT_ADMIN> lan
LAN Station Addresses: 080009-0AC226
                       080009-0AC227
BOOT_ADMIN> monitor
        Monitor Choices
Type     Resolution     Frequency
----     ----------     ---------
  1      1280x1024        72Hz
  2      1024x768         75Hz
  3      1024x768         70Hz
  4      1024x768         75Hz      Flat Panel
  5      1280x1024        60Hz
  6      1024x768         60Hz
  7       640x480         60Hz
  8      1280x1024        75Hz      VESA
  9      1024x768         75Hz      VESA
 10       800x600         75Hz      VESA
 11       640x480         75Hz      VESA
 12      1280x1024        72Hz      Greyscale
 13      1280x1024        50Hz

Current Monitor Type for graphics
  1      1280x1024        72Hz

BOOT_ADMIN> path pri
Primary boot path:     lan.000000-000000.0.0
BOOT_ADMIN> path alt
Alternate boot path:   scsi.6.0
BOOT_ADMIN> path console
Console path:          graphics.1