Subject: Re: HP 712 Installation story + iee0 going OACTIVE..
To: Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
From: Rudi Ludwig <rudihl@gmx.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 10/18/2005 20:12:55
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:28:49 +0200
"Martin S. Weber" <Ephaeton@gmx.net> wrote:

> Preparatory steps were 'simply' building the latest NetBSD (-current) on
> my i386 host with build.sh (that's now the third architecture I've cross-built
> on i386, blesseth be build.sh!) and setting up netbooting as was described.

an Alternative would be:
ftp://ftp.de.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/200510140000Z/hp700/

in binary it also includes xserver.tgz and friends. Since I have not been
that lucky with my 712/60 I cannot yet tell you what to expact.
Seams like some changes between Gecko and King Gecko make the difference
for the moment (you can consult mailing list archive sept. oct. 05 for details).

> During some pkgsrc builds I've also found out how to distinguish 'non-working'
> iee0 from 'working' iee0 - if it's broken, instead of flag "RUNNING" it has
> "OACTIVE" set.

Please see "PR kern/31540: iee0: iee_intr: receive ring buffer overrun"
and add if apropriate, additional information might help narrowing the
problem down

> So... I'm getting it right that netbsd is not up to par to make
> a hp712 into a 'workstation' (video, audio, networking ...) yet
> only into some (headless or console) 'server' which has to check
> its own connectivity regularly, is it ? I'd say I'd help porting
> if someone could lend me another 24hours the day :(

If you need a computer to get the job done, port-hp700 is probably not there,
on the other hand if you want a toy to explore and play with.
On ebay germany I've seen the low-end ones (Gecko /60 /80) sell for about
15 EUR + shipping recently.

> Regards,
>
> -Martin

/Rudi