Subject: Re: distrib/hp700 bits
To: None <port-hp700@NetBSD.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 05/22/2005 17:46:58
On Sat, 21 May 2005 16:55:04 -0700
Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com> wrote:

> could someone please try this out?  it looks like it should work,
> the openbsd cdboot appears to be the normal bootloader code with
> the non-CD bits removed.
I can make some tests when I investigate the xxboot <=3D> PDC_COPROC
interference.=20

I suspect that a bootable CD can be build by just toasting the LIF image
used for netbooting to the CD. IIRC the boot loader used in that image
doesn't care about the medium. It simply uses the device already opened
by the firmware and loads data via firmware calls. So this boot loader
should be device independent.=20

With this method we can get a bootable CD, but there will be no ISO9660
file system on it to carry the distribution sets.

What I don't understand, due to my limited knowledge about ISO960: How
to make a CD with a LIF image at the start and a ISO9660 image behind it
/ how to transplant the LIF image at the start of a ISO9660 file system
without destroying the ISO9660 data structure?
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen