Subject: Re: Support for 800er machines?
To: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 10/14/2004 09:47:23
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:58:06 +0200
Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de> wrote:

> I have a HP9000 sitting around that is labelled E55, nothing
> else. uname -a gives:
>=20
> HP-UX hopper B.10.01 A 9000/856 1121904362 two-user license
>=20
> According to what I found on the web and within my 20" of
> documentation it most probably is a HP9000 856/E55 AKA E-Series.
>=20
> Since many times these H/W is mentioned together with 700er machines,
> are these any similiar? And the most important: is this machine
> covered by port-hp700 of NetBSD?
Yes, it is covered. Unfortunately device support is quite limmited. The
E55 has a PA7100LC CPU that is well supported. Ethernet is provided by a
LASI chip, well supported too. But anything else lives on the
proprietary HP-PB bus. This bus and the peripherals connected to it are
mostly undocumented. This means you only can use Ethernet and the
console via PDC (firmware), no SCSI. It looks like Linux got some HP-PB
bus support lately. Due to Licencing issues (GPL) und differences in
kernel architecture this cant be ported. We need some "clean room
reverse engineering" to reimplement this support. I doubt this will
happen soon.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen