Subject: Re: Reanimating port hp700
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 09/20/2003 23:21:37
On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:03:03AM -0700, Matt Thomas wrote:
> The choice we need to make is to pick the correct ABI from this
> point on.  We could stick with the BSD ABI but it's really not
> well supported.  For best support, we should either choose the
> Linux ABI or the HPUX ABI.  I'd suggest adapting the Linux support
> since it's likely to best maintained.

what's the difference between the linux and hpux ABIs?
the hpux ABI is likely to be fairly well-maintained also.

> I'm not sure of the differences between the BSD ABI and Linux ABI
> but this might require some changes to the .S files.

... and the BSD ABI for that matter?  seems like it'd be worth figuring
that out before we settle on one.

by the way, the state of the kernel with matt fredette's 3.0.2 x86->hppa
cross toolchain after my recent LWPification is that it gets up to trying
to start init and then gets a machine check after a recursive page-fault
that I assume overflows the kernel stack.  I had to turn off USE_PTREE
in kern_ksyms.c in order to get that far, didn't investigate that part.

-Chuck