Subject: Re: What to do with an HP9000 D330?
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@criticalpath.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-hp700
Date: 07/29/2003 10:15:29
On 2003.07.28 23:50 Monroe Williams wrote:

> What are my chances of getting NetBSD running on this thing?=20
No big chances. There is a rather old snapshoot, that is all NetBSD has.
The problem is the tool chain. For a long time there was only a
i386-hppa cross tool chain. hppa was not available in the standard
in-tree tool chain based on GCC 2.95. But GCC 3.3 was imported recently,
so there is some hope that we will get a working tool chain. I am
waiting for this. I have several PA-RISC machines and some minor
experience in kernel hacking that I wane extend...=20

> Would installing another OS that looks more likely to boot=20
> (<http://www.parisc-linux.org/>, <http://www.openbsd.org/hppa.html>)
> be of any use,=20
Well. You could get the machine to run somthing, at least, when you
install Linux. AFAIK the Linux PA-RISC port is quite usable.=20

> or would I be better off cross-compiling from another NetBSD system?
In theory you can cross compile NetBSD from any other POSIX system.=20
But I suspect less problems when the build host is running NetBSD. ;-)=20
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen