Subject: Re: [Xpert]HP 700 series frambuffer support (GIO Graphics?)
To: None <xpert@XFree86.Org>
From: Jens Owen <jens@tungstengraphics.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 08/13/2002 08:46:01
Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> ...obviously this is quite a-ways down the road for port-700 series
> development, but I was curious -- what are the chances of working torwards
> XFree86 support for this series onboard FB?  From my DMESG:
>
> "GIO Graphics" at mainbus0 (type a, sv 85) hpa f8000000 not configured
>
> The user's manual is available at:
>
> http://www.hp.com/workstations/support/archive/manuals/A2615-90602.pdf
>
> But it's very superficial.  I'm having trouble finding info about this IC in
> google.  I'll try to get a serial number of the mainboard.  Apparently the
> HP-UX X server is based off of X11R5, so support has exists at one point or
> another.  X11R6 seems to have support in: xc/programs/Xserver/hw/hp/
>
> Ideas?

Brian,

The HP 712 Workstation is over 10 years old.  So realize that platform
is similar in performance to a P5-150 with a Matrox Millenium graphics
chip.  I've got one here in my office if anyone wants to pay for shipping.

I don't believe HP has released any specifications, but the Puffin Group
was sponsered by HP to port Linux to HP-PA processors and may have
gotten the graphics chip specs.  The name of the graphics chip is "Artist".

You can look at the sources in the xc/programs/Xserver/hw/hp tree.  The
ngle subdirectory has support for Artist under HP-UX 9.x, but it's
purely unaccellerated.  I'm not certain of the status for HP-UX 10.x or
11.x, but if you can get 9.x you can build Xhp in source form and see it
work.

There is a binary only module that comes in the NGLE directory.  That
provides hardware accelleration for screen clear and screen to screen
copies.

One of the biggest challenges you'll face trying to get this generation
of HP graphics working on non-HPUX platforms is getting specs and
interfacing with the graphics ROM interface.  The interface is called
STI for Standard Text Interface and reside below the normal system IODC
ROM interface.  The NGLE driver makes kernel calls ioctl(GC*...) to an
HP-UX kernel driver that call the STI ROM directly.

In summary, this would be a large mountain to climp (access to specs and
reworking HP's architecture to work with XFree86).  With HP's blessing
and a lot of work, it's possible.  However, it's only reward may be the
journey itself.

Regards,
Jens

--