Subject: Netbooting an HP C110
To: None <port-hp700@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-hp700
Date: 07/28/2002 23:50:59
Hi,

I just got an HP C110 which I'd like to get to work with NetBSD.
Naturally, I wanted to start by trying to boot the current netboot image
(ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/hp700/snapshot/20020706-1.6D/installation/lifboot/SYSNBSD.gz),
but after I type "boot lan" all I get at the console is this:

IPL error: bad LIF magic.

This happens whether I answer yes or no to:
Interact with IPL (Y or N)?>

Note that I am using bootp because the HPPA Linux page says that newer
machines don't use rbootd.

I have these files set up - /etc/bootptab:

hp.sixgirls.org:\
        :ht=ether:\
        :ha=0060b0076284:\
        :sm=255.255.255.0:\
        :lg=192.168.1.1:\
        :ip=192.168.1.122:\
        :to=7200:\
        :bf=SYSNBSD:\
        :td=/tftpboot:
        :rp=/export/client/root/:

and I have tftp and bootps uncommented in /etc/inetd.conf.

Does anyone know what I need to do to make the HP's firmware happy enough
to load the kernel? I doubt it will work, but I want to get it at least to
pull and try to boot so I can start playing with getting some of the
OpenBSD code into the NetBSD tree for this specific system.

Thanks very much,
John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs