Subject: Re: OT: Bootstrapping 4.3BSD-Reno from NetBSD?
To: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 05/24/2000 15:29:13
Michael Wolfson writes:
- Not sure if anyone has heard about this, but SCO is giving out licenses for
- older versions of encumbered BSD.  This may be an easier approach for
- figuring out some of the hardware for hp700s using the Utah code then
- cleanrooming it for NetBSD.
-
- <http://www.sco.com/offers/ancient.html>
- <http://www.cs.utah.edu/~mike/hpbsd/hpbsd.html>

	Well, Utah (according to the above web page) isn't
making the HPBSD sources or distributions available any longer.

	I would love to have access to them, but we'd still need
to do some clean rooming of the code to make sure everything was
still freely redistributible with NetBSD. (Although, the PARISC
specific portions of the HPBSD tree shouldn't be derived from AT&T
code, the taint of derived code is still technically there.  Anyone
want to work with SCO to remove it?)

	I think the MACH and OpenBSD code bases are going to be
useful, and the Utah MACH/Lites code should be useful as well.
(I _still_ need to pick that up and look at it.. :-)

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
		Q: What kind of a dog says: "bofh! bofh!" ?