Subject: Re: Recent Status (was: HPPA Port Interest.)
To: Todd T. Fries <todd@fries.net>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: port-hp700
Date: 01/14/2000 16:57:13
"Todd T. Fries" writes:
- On Sat, Jan 08, 2000 at 12:49:49AM -0500, Michael Shalayeff wrote:
- > 2. to setup a serial console that way it would require having a monitor
- > anyway, so why not use it? (:
- > > - fyi, 712 does not support serial console.
- > >
- > > 	Actually, it does, although not in a natural, intuitive way.
- > > Inside HP, they have/had a large number of them set up headless
- > > for various purposes.  However, it is not a configuration
- > > supported outside of HP.
-
- Very useful info, about the serial console.  Now, does it stay
- set once set?  Aka across reboots, it'll stay around?

	Sorry to take so long in responding, but I hadn't had a
chance to test the serial console settings on one of my 712's..

	Having done so today, I can say that it does hold over
reboots/power-offs (as I had expected.)  Here's the output from
the test 712:

		BOOT_ADMIN> info

		Processor revision 2.2 60MHz
		Instruction Cache Size:   32768
		Data Cache Size:          32768
		Memory Size:  80 MB
		Built in floating point coprocessor
		Board Serial Number 401101RD6M

		BootRom Version    1.5

		auto boot on
		auto search on
		fastboot off

		Primary boot path:    scsi.6.0
		Alternate boot path:  lan.000000-000000.0.0
		Console path:         rs232.9600.8.none

		LAN Station Addresses: 080009-93F952
				       080009-93F953

	Hmm, I see that I should update the boot roms on this
machine..  The 2.3 set are available on the HP web/ftp site as a
patch.

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
	There has been an alarming increase in the number of things