Subject: Re: New list member
To: Joerg M. Sigle <joerg.sigle@jsigle.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 08/24/2007 11:20:54
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007, Joerg M. Sigle wrote:

> I just have subscribed, and see that there is still a little bit of traffic
> in this list's archives. So, following ancient netiquette - I want to briefly
> introduce myself:
>
> Somebody with a hp9000/318, because I wanted a machine with 68020+FPU+MMU. It
> came without any peripherals nor software.

 	Welcome! I don't have an hp300 but I have a 68030 based mac, and
 	lurk on the list anyway :)

> I ended up with a diskless netbooting NetBSD 1.5.3 setup -
> Thank you very much for you who have contributed to that by either providing
> software or helpfull postings.
>
> The machine has 4MB RAM, so it works, but 200K free memory make it slow:
> swapping whenever/before it runs any program.
>
> g++ Hello_world.c swaps along for 2 hours, but completes and runs nicely, and
> another mini program searching for primes takes just as long to compile, but
> then runs very smoothly.
>
> Now I'm interested in making an extra small kernel for it, or netbooting any
> of the original HP disk images, or stuff completely made up from scratch - or
> in finding a 319 or so with more memory.

 	You should be able to cross compile a more recent kernel on
 	another box. That other box doesn't need to run NetBSD, though
 	obviously more NetBSD is always good :)

 	If you're looking for more hp300 hardware then something like a
 	380 or a 400 series machine could pretty much solve your memory
 	problems - I'm sure you've already seen the supported hardware
 	list on http://www.netbsd.org/ports/hp300/hardware.html

 	Hmm... I wonder how much memory is in http://tinyurl.com/2m5n2w
 	Probably only the base 4MB... :/

 	One interesting test might be to boot a NetBSD-4 GENERIC and
 	cut down kernels on it. I would expect GENERIC not to fit, but a
 	cut down one should...