Subject: Re: Xserver for NetBSD-3.x on Series 400 machines?
To: None <port-hp300@NetBSD.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-hp300
Date: 05/16/2006 23:07:02
bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de wrote:

> I have recently upgraded my HP 9000 425s to NetBSD 3.0_STABLE,

Well, maybe you are the first person who tried to install
NetBSD/hp300 3.0 (except me ;-)

> I am now planning to revive it properly with 3.x,
> but cannot get either Xhpbsd or Xhpux to work.

I'm afraid fewer people have tested COMPAT_HPUX and COMPAT_AOUT_M68K
recently. I'll remove obsolete Xhpbsd description from web pages
for now since it isn't easy to have complete a.out binary
compatibility support on ELF kernels.

> There seems to be no way to make it work properly with xdm. xdm can
> sometimes start the Xserver, but then fails to open the display.

I haven't tried the Xhpux binary (sorry), but it looks a.out HP-UX
binary, so maybe we have to add some more tweaks to compat_hpux
sources to handle alignment difference between a.out and ELF ABIs.

> What exactly is the state of affairs? How much work is it? What is
> there?

The right way to go for us is to integrate wscons support
from OpenBSD/hp300, rather than maintaining old ITE or
HP-UX compat stuff.

>  what is missing?

Time, interests, motivation, or man power?
(sorry, it's still on my todo list but lower priority...)
---
Izumi Tsutsui