Subject: Re: MI com(4) committed
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-hp300
Date: 11/12/2003 22:22:22
In article <11AF00CD-121B-11D8-928B-000A957650EC@wasabisystems.com>
thorpej@wasabisystems.com wrote:

> I personally like what the Alpha port does here, /dev/ttyC[0-n] for
> com(4).

Sound good. Then how about the following changes?

- Prepare ttyC[0123] for com(4)
- Add "com0 at dio? scode 9" in kernel config files
  (so that major 12, minor 0 is always used for DCA
   and  minor 1 and later nodes are be assigned to APCI.)
- Create following symlinks:
  tty0  -> ttyC0
  ttya0 -> ttyC1
  ttya1 -> ttyC2
  ttya2 -> ttyC3

> Perhaps you could add some text to the hp300-specific section of the
> release notes noting the major change for the APCI serial ports, and
> the name change in general?

Sure, but I have no idea what should "md_update()" function
in sysinst do to handle it..

> Perhaps we should rename the DCM serial ports to /dev/ttyM[0-n]?

It's a good idea to prevent confusion of MI tty0? names.
Maybe the following symlinks are also needed:
  tty00 -> ttyM0
  tty01 -> ttyM1
  tty02 -> ttyM2
  tty03 -> ttyM3

> Do
> you have a DCM card?  Would you like one?

I don't have DCM. My HP382 (what was picked up from dump) is the
only hp300 machine I have :-) If DCM just works with -current dcm.c
and few cleanups are needed, it should belong to the portmaster :-)

> I could probably send you a
> DCL card, as well (we don't even have a driver for that one yet :-)

Hmm, 1.6.1 install note
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/hp300/INSTALL.html#Supported%20hardware
says DCL is supported, but is it reaaly different from DCA or DCM?
Could some MI driver be used for it?
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp