Subject: Re: Problem booting miniroot 1.6B
To: Chris Rupnik <crupnik@videotron.ca>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/12/2002 10:07:49
At 12:54 PM -0400 7/12/02, Chris Rupnik wrote:

:)"inappropriate file type".
:)
:)If I tried booting a file that I knew did not exist, (for instance, coco), I
:)got an file not found . So this means it finds the file, just does not know
:)what to do with it.
:)
:)note: These messages appear to come from the second stage bootloader, from
:)the current 1.5 installed on the box. Would it be accurate that this will
:)also have to be upgraded to a 1.6 version?

AFAIK, no.  1.6 has an ELF kernel and the 1.5 branch still used a.out
kernels.  The INSTALL notes section on manual upgrading has already been
upgraded to include this step:

2.  Boot your hp300 into `single-user mode':

Follow the instructions in the section above on Chosing a kernel location
and type -s at the prompt.

3.  Extract and install a new boot block:

Make sure you install the bootstrap program distributed with this version
of NetBSD/hp300.

# tar -xpvzf base.tgz ./usr/mdec
# disklabel -B -b ./usr/mdec/uboot.lif  root-disk

E.g.: root-disk could be sd0 or rd0. We'll assume rd0 for now.

Have fun,
  -- MW