Subject: Re: Netbooting 1.6_BETA3?
To: None <port-hp300@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: port-hp300
Date: 07/01/2002 12:05:57
On 01.07.02, 13:08:54, Gregory McGarry wrote:
> Bernd Sieker wrote:
>
> > I have a diskless HP 9000 433 (ex-425t, now 433dl), which was running
> > 1.5.2 and 1.5.3 just fine. Since it has no important function and just
> > serves as an additional X-Terminal, I thought I'd give 1.6 a try.
>
> Does this machine report itself as a 425t?

No, it has been re-jumpered to report 433t along with CPU and
oscillator upgrade. (I think that also changes RAM-timing slightly, at
least on models where that's not broken.)

> > Having set up dhcpd to serve bootp info, the bootloader then proceeded
> > to boot the generic kernel from the 200020628 snapshot from
> > releng.netbsd.org, but after loading the kernel image, the machine
> > hangs after "entry point XXXXXX"
>
> Sageev George <sageev@bmsrs.usc.edu> reported a similar problem
> on his 425t back in March.  I think the console is on dca0.
>
> You're not using a serial console?

That's right, I'm using a Catseye/Topcat 1280x1024/8bit Framebuffer.

My first suspicion was that it continues booting, but just fails to
initialize the framebuffer but I have only just now come around to
connecting a serial console. It does in fact boot the kernel, and then
complains (rightly) about unconfigured rc.conf and waits for me to
give it a shell.

Why it fails to initialize the framebuffer I do not know. But now I at
least have a console and can build a custom kernel and see how it
goes.

I will see how a custom-made kernel fares.

Everything else seems to work fine.

Thanks for the hint with the serial console. Since it only booted to
single-user, I assumed it was dead when there was no more traffic on
the net.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD - the cathedral versus the bizarre.
		-- Julian Assange