Subject: Re: HELP!
To: None <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
From: Havard Eidnes <he@netbsd.org>
List: port-hp300
Date: 12/28/2001 12:22:48
> Ok, I finally dug out my hp300 and found it to be a 380 (or 385).  An=
yhow
> I followed the netbsd install text and got it to boot to the sys_inst=
 util
> (rbooting from another netbsd box).  The rest gets a little vague for=

> me..  Do I have to install the miniroot from NFS to the hdd, or can I=
 boot
> the miniroot from NFS?  Can someone break down what I need to do next=
 from
> the sys_inst> prompt on?  I would *really* like to get this thing run=
ning
> and doing something more productive than being a really cool
> bookend.  Thanks!

I think the installation notes at

  ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5.2/hp300/INSTALL.html

will tell you how to proceed.  Basically, you'll have to

1) label the disk drive (remember to offset 'a' one cylinder in to
   allow room for the boot code, but let 'c' cover the entire physical
   drive), using the 'disklabel' command in sys_inst
2) copy the miniroot (using NFS) to the 'b' partition (assumed to
   become the swap partition) on the newly labeled disk via the
   'miniroot' command in sys_inst
3) boot the miniroot via the 'boot' command in sys_inst

and once the kernel in the miniroot is booted, the installation
procedure in the miniroot will take you through the steps of
(re)labeling the drive, making file systems, extracting installation
sets and the various other tasks needed to get NetBSD installed on
your drive.

The detailed description for how this is done can be found starting
under "Preparing your System for NetBSD installation" in the
installation notes.

Regards,

- H=E5vard